Hi! I’m Hyunju Blemel.
I was born and raised here in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I started taking photos at a young age as a creative hobby. Soon, I was carrying a camera with me at all times and capturing every possible moment I could—using my friends and family as subjects, or capturing the natural beauty of our enchanting desert landscapes.
I attended The University of New Mexico and graduated in 2020 with a degree in Integrated Studies, with a focus in Marketing & Communications. During my time there, I worked for several private, state, and university organizations doing graphic design, print design, social media marketing, and of course, photography! My work has been featured in UNM’s Scribendi and Conceptions Southwest magazines, and has been exhibited at various galleries at The University of New Mexico, Indiana University, and the Albuquerque Museum. Below you can find an extensive portfolio of all my professional work.
These days I am a full-time content creator for Dion’s Pizza! Photography is more than just a side gig for me, though. I love photography because I love meeting new people, getting to know them, and capturing their joy.
When I’m not taking photos or eating pizza, I enjoy backpacking, camping, exploring, taekwondo, playing the accordion, and mentoring young girls in the Scouts BSA program on their path toward Eagle Scout.
Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to meeting and learning more about you.
LET'S GET STARTED! YOUR STORY STARTS HERE.
I would love to collaborate with you! Please fill out the form below so we can start capturing your memories!
Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) D4 Conference (<- these are hyperlinked if you want to learn more about the organizations!)
2020: Dallas, TX
- Social for Students by Students: Letting Students Build Their Own Online Presence (UNM's @TheLoboLife)
- The UNM Social Media Manager presented in person and I video conferenced in from Albuquerque, NM
2019: Marseille, France
- Improved Fish Tagging Technology: Field Test Results and Analysis
- The link to the research paper is below under the Publications section
2019: Bozeman, MT
- Scribendi Regional Release
- Marketing our Honors Program Using Adobe Products
- Part I: What Makes an Engaging Honors Newsletter
- Part II: Designing an Honors Newsletter Using Adobe InDesign
2018: Orange, CA
- Scribendi Regional Release
2018: Boston, MA
- Idea Exchange: Scribendi
Pieces, The University of New Mexico, Spectra Gallery, Albuquerque, NM, 2019.
Invisible Labor, Kitch Cleaners, Albuquerque, NM, 2017-2021 (ongoing).
A Yellow Rose Project, The University of New Mexico, Spectra Gallery, Albuquerque, NM, 2020.
A Yellow Rose Project (Digital Projections), Indiana University, various buildings, Bloomington, IN, 2020.
These Systems Are Not Static: Land Arts of the American West, The University of New Mexico, John Sommers Gallery, Albuquerque, NM, 2019.
Dia De Los Muertos, The University of New Mexico, Masley Gallery, Albuquerque, NM, 2019.
For Freedoms, The University of New Mexico Art Museum, Albuquerque, NM, 2018.
Arts Unexpected, The University of New Mexico, John Sommers Gallery, Albuquerque, NM, 2017.
Focus on Youth, Albuquerque Museum, Albuquerque, NM, 2015.
- Western Regional Honors Council Photography Award
- UNM University College Dean’s List
- UNM Honors College Outstanding Senior Award
- New Mexico State Parks Partnership of the Year (UNM's The Lobo Life project lead & point of contact)
- UNM Student Employee of the Year finalist
- UNM Leadership and Involvement Award
- Congresswoman Lujan-Grisham’s Congressional Art Competition Juror’s Choice
- City of Albuquerque Public Permanent Art Collection Purchase Award
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, mixed media, Elements of Design, first place
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, digital photography, Yo, second place
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, digital special techniques, Hotel Lines, honorable mention
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, digital special techniques, Railyard Fantasma, honorable mention
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, digital special techniques, Rust, honorable mention
- Scholastic Art and Writing Regional Art Competition, digital art, Railyard Fantasma, digital art gold key award winner, American Visions & Voices Nominee best of show.
- Scholastic Art and Writing Regional Art Competition, digital art, Hotel Lines, digital art silver key award winner
- Scholastic Art and Writing Regional Art Competition, digital art, Surrealismo, digital art honorable mention
- International Robotic Sailing Regatta One Meter First Place (Newfoundland, CAN). Designed and programmed an unmanned autonomous robotic sailboat
- Scholastic Art and Writing Regional Art Competition, photography, Texture Dyptich, photography gold key award winner
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, silver photography, Lumen Print, first place