안녕하세요! Guten Tag! Hello!
My name is Hyunju Blemel, best known to my friends as Juju. I am many things, including photographer, graphic designer, Korean-German-American, road-tripper, proud University of New Mexico Lobo, BSA Scout, tea lover, and strong, experienced leader.
My friends would describe me as a bundle of energy and enthusiasm like no other! I am incredibly goofy and always find ways to make every situation positive and laughable! You'll find our photography sessions and collaborative projects will always be light-hearted, fun, wholesome, and all-around a great time. I love capturing and sharing the happy, sappy, and vibrant moments life has to offer.
My passions for learning, service, and art have led to many unique experiences over the course of my life, but photography, both for personal enjoyment and in my professional work, stand out the most to me. In 2012 I discovered photography and began working with b&w film, developing and printing negatives by hand for three years. It wasn’t until 2015 that I transitioned to digital photography by purchasing a small Nikon D3300. Ultimately the darkroom is where the magic and my true passion for photography began! Today I primarily use a full-frame Nikon D750 but also alternate between a Canon 5D Mark IV and Sony A7s. I am well versed in the Adobe Creative Cloud including Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Rush. I like to say I can do it all, because the possibilities are endless!
If you have any questions please reach out, which you can do via the contact tab. I would love to work with you and incorporate your ideas and inspirations. Thanks for checking out my website! Below you can learn a little bit more about me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) D4 Conference (<- these are hyperlinked if you want to learn more about the organizations!)
2020: Dallas, TX
- Social for Students by Students: Letting Students Build Their Own Online Presence (UNM's @TheLoboLife)
- The UNM Social Media Manager presented in person and I video conferenced in from Albuquerque, NM
2019: Marseille, France
- Improved Fish Tagging Technology: Field Test Results and Analysis
- The link to the research paper is below under the Publications section
2019: Bozeman, MT
- Scribendi Regional Release
- Marketing our Honors Program Using Adobe Products
- Part I: What Makes an Engaging Honors Newsletter
- Part II: Designing an Honors Newsletter Using Adobe InDesign
2018: Orange, CA
- Scribendi Regional Release
2018: Boston, MA
- Idea Exchange: Scribendi
Pieces, The University of New Mexico, Honors College Forum, Albuquerque, NM, 2019.
Invisible Labor, Kitch Cleaners, Albuquerque, NM, 2017-2020 (ongoing).
These Systems Are Not Static (Land Arts of the American West), The University of New Mexico, John Sommers Gallery, Albuquerque, NM, 2019.
Dia De Los Muertos, The University of New Mexico, Masley Gallery, Albuquerque, NM, 2019.
For Freedoms, The University of New Mexico Art Museum, Albuquerque, NM, 2018.
Arts Unexpected, The University of New Mexico, John Sommers Gallery, Albuquerque, NM, 2017.
Focus on Youth, Albuquerque Museum, Albuquerque, NM, 2015.
- Western Regional Honors Council Photography Award
- UNM University College Dean’s List
- UNM Honors College Outstanding Senior Award
- New Mexico State Parks Partnership of the Year (UNM's The Lobo Life project lead & point of contact)
- UNM Student Employee of the Year finalist
- UNM Leadership and Involvement Award
- Congresswoman Lujan-Grisham’s Congressional Art Competition Juror’s Choice
- City of Albuquerque Public Permanent Art Collection Purchase Award
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, mixed media, Elements of Design, first place
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, digital photography, Yo, second place
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, digital special techniques, Hotel Lines, honorable mention
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, digital special techniques, Railyard Fantasma, honorable mention
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, digital special techniques, Rust, honorable mention
- Scholastic Art and Writing Regional Art Competition, digital art, Railyard Fantasma, digital art gold key award winner, American Visions & Voices Nominee best of show.
- Scholastic Art and Writing Regional Art Competition, digital art, Hotel Lines, digital art silver key award winner
- Scholastic Art and Writing Regional Art Competition, digital art, Surrealismo, digital art honorable mention
- International Robotic Sailing Regatta One Meter First Place (Newfoundland, CAN). Designed and programmed an unmanned autonomous robotic sailboat
- Scholastic Art and Writing Regional Art Competition, photography, Texture Dyptich, photography gold key award winner
- APS Metro Youth Art Exhibit, silver photography, Lumen Print, first place
- First Tech Challenge, Texas State Championship, first place
- RoboRAVE International Robotics Competition, line-following robot, third place